Do you URGENTLY need a Company Registration Number? We offer Shelf Company Options with Tax Clearance, a VAT Number or a Business Bank Account for you to start trading – today! Pricing From R1990. Select your preferred option below.
Shelf Company Options:
Our basic 2020 Shelf Company without any extras costs R1990 all inclusive. See your additional Shelf Company options below. LIMITED STOCK: All Shelf Companies are sold on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis.
Shelf Companies – with a VAT Registration Number:
If you have not actively been trading with a Registered Company, VAT Registration will NOT be possible for your company to get within less than 2 months. Due to this problem, we have setup dormant Shelf Companies for which we can get a VAT Number activated within 10 Working Days. Extra Requirement: You must have proof that you will be trading in the next year.
4x Reasons an “Urgent Shelf Company” is better than a New Company.
1. Start Now. Within 5 Minutes after buying a Shelf Company you can start trading with its Company Registration Number. No paperwork required.
2. Age. This is the perfect Company Formation option for individuals or businesses which already has 1-2 years experience in their industry. A new company registration number will make it seem like you have NO experience; whereas a 2019 Shelf Company it will match up better with your industry experience. Especially when applying for new deals, Tenders, Contracts, Financing and Rentals.
3. Tender Now. Some of our Shelf Company options include a Tax Clearance Certificate, PAYE Registration and VAT Registration Number – all which are required for certain Tenders and Contracts. For many applications you are required to have a Company Registration Number of 1 Year+ and a Tax Clearance Certificate of 1 Year+ just to apply. Note that a Shelf Company will not give you an unfair advantage in the awarding of Tenders or other applications – it purely enables you to apply quicker, with less admin. For example – if you’re required to have a 1-Year Old company, you can use a Shelf Company, but you still need to prove that you have 1-Year’s experience.
4. Bank Now. Some of our Shelf Company options include an active FNB / Nedbank Business Bank Account. Note that they’ve only been opened in the past 2 months and have no trading history.
Please note: A Shelf Company is more expensive than a normal Company Registration through us. You can get away with our New Company Options for cheaper (From R990) if you’re willing to wait a bit longer. If you are interested in our cheaper options, you can Register a New Company here.
50 000+ Clients assisted since 2006
We Are South Africa's Most Popular 1-Stop-Shop for Entrepreneurs.
Our experts assist you with every step towards successful company compliance - within record timeframes!
What is a Shelf Company, and why is it useful in South Africa?
Looking for a practical Shelf Company Guide to answer your questions on Shelf Companies in South Africa? Then read further.
In this post: we will help you clear up questions you may have if you’re considering getting a Shelf Company in South Africa. Whether you’re looking at a 2014, 2016 or 2019 year Company – we can assist. We’ll help you clear up any uncertainties on the use, functionality and legality of Shelf Companies in South Africa. We’ll also guide you through the process of buying the best Shelf Company for your business.
You will find this post useful if: you’re looking for a practical guide that’ll help you decide if a Shelf Company is for you. You will also find it helpful if you want insight on the fastest way to purchase a Shelf Company that fits your needs.
How to use this guide: scroll through the questions we’ll be answering and simply scroll to the question you’re interested in. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to claim a free business consultation from us. Our Shelf Company experts will be happy to answer them for you.
Here are all the questions we’ll be addressing in this guide.
- What is a Shelf Company?
- Is it legal to buy a Shelf Company?
- What is the difference between a Shelf Company and a normal Company?
- The benefits of a Shelf Company
- Where is the best place to buy a Shelf Company in South Africa?
- How much does a Shelf Company cost in South Africa?
What is a Shelf Company?
A Shelf Company is a term used to describe a normal Company that’s up for sale, although it’s never been traded with, despite being fully and legally registered at the CIPC.
It describes a Company that you can purchase immediately because it has already been registered at the South African authorities. That means you don’t have to wait for the CIPC registration process; the Company already has a Company Registration number that you can use immediately.
It also means that that company registration number is older.
So, in short, a Shelf Company is just a term that describes an old, registered Company that’s never been in trade before.
You can buy registered Companies from any year – depending on what’s available.
It’s also important to understand that all Shelf Companies already have company names because they’re registered at the CIPC. They usually have vague, generic names. However, it’s also simple to change the name to whatever you like (provided another Company hasn’t already used your preferred name).
However, the current Shelf Company name is of little significance, because it’s so simple to change and we help with the name amendment process. Your company registration number won’t ever change, which is the most significant identifier in your business’s administration.
Is it legal to buy a Shelf Company in South Africa?
Yes, 100%. A Shelf Company describes a Company that you are buying, so in essence, there’s nothing strange about the process.
However, it is crucial that you buy a Company that’s never been traded with. You ensure this by only buying from a Company you can trust or asking for the company records before buying it.
This is important because you want an older Company that’s fundamentally new. You don’t want to purchase a company that’s been in trade before. That would mean that you would be buying over the history of that business. A Shelf Company should be a 100% clean slate.
Technically the term “Shelf Company” refers only to companies that have never been traded with, but it’s always better to check. Rather safe than sorry, right?
We guarantee that all our Shelf Companies have never traded before and have a clear trade, tax and CIPC record.
What is the difference between a Shelf Company and a normal Company?
The similarities between a normal Company and a Shelf Company
You might be surprised, but there isn’t a significant technical difference between a Shelf Company and a normal Company in South Africa.
That’s because, in essence, a Shelf Company IS a regular company. It’s just a regular company that’s already been registered at the CIPC according to SA Company legislation.
Technically, the process of registering a Shelf Company and a standard Company is the same.
The differences between a normal Company and a Shelf Company
The only difference is the fact a Shelf Company is already through the company registration process. That’s why we call it a Shelf Company. It’s an average Company that we’ve “placed on the shelf” so you can pick one “off our shelf” and use it immediately.
The reason we do that is to save you time. You don’t need to register the business and reserve a name, because we’ve already done that.
You don’t need to wait for the CIPC, because that process is already done and dusted. It’s a legally registered business that’s ready to trade. The process of buying a Shelf Company is much quicker than registering a new business.
So, in essence, the most significant difference between a Shelf Company in South Africa and a normal Company is the time that stands between you and your ability to trade using its Company Registration documents.
The other big difference is that the registration date is naturally older when you buy a Shelf Company. This is significant because it can open up doors to new clients (or contracts) who prefer working with Companies who have been in business for a certain number of years.
What are the benefits of a Shelf Company?
You’re probably wondering, why are Shelf Companies a thing if they’re so similar to a standard Company? There are three significant reasons.
A Shelf Company gives you an instant Company Registration Number.
The first reason is the fact that you can use the company registration as soon as you buy the Shelf Company. When you register a new company, you have to wait for the CIPC to issue you with a registration number – although this process is much faster than earlier years, it’s not instant.
If you need a company registration number within 24 hours, the only way to get a legal CIPC company registration number is buying a Shelf Company.
This is usually really handy is there’s an urgent contract, Tender or RFQ that you need to apply for immediately. It’s also helpful if you want another legal entity for another area of your business ASAP.
Shelf Companies are the fastest way to get a legally CIPC-registered company.
Secondly, it’s also the path of least resistance.
There is practically no significant red-tape or administrative waiting time to this process. You can have a legit Company that’s ready to trade with – which requires almost no effort from you.
Naturally, there’s still a bit of admin in terms of changes. You need to change things like the directors of the company, the address details etc. We assist you with all of these amendments.
You must also change the name if you can’t find a Shelf Company in the year you want with a name that you can use. However, you cut out the CIPC registration entirely.
Our Shelf Companies offer you an older company number.
The third advantage is the age of the legal entity. Our shelf companies have an older registration number than a Company that you register at the CIPC today.
This may be beneficial when you want to apply for a contract, a Tender or an RFQ in South Africa. For example: When you have the necessary experience and been in trade for a number of years, but you never legally registered your business before. You then have the option of buying a Shelf Company from any available year from us (remember older is usually more expensive).
So, in essence, buying a Shelf Company may open up specific doors for you again.
How much does a Shelf Company cost in South Africa?
Wondering how much a Shelf Company costs in South Africa? Unfortunately, there’s no fixed answer, because the CIPC doesn’t issue shelf Companies. The CIPC issues standard companies that private businesses (like ourselves) “put on the shelf” for reselling.
Each company determines its own pricing. The price is generally higher as the company ages. So, a 2014 Shelf Company will be more expensive than a 2018 Shelf Company.
Here’s a quick look at the options we offer:
All our Shelf Companies are at least one year old. You can choose older companies, depending on what’ll benefit your business the most.
Please keep in mind, we have limited stock of each, so move fast so you don’t miss the year that’ll serve you best.
- 2014-2019 Shelf Companies
When you’re looking for the best company to buy yours from it’s imperative to consider what included and excluded in the price.
All our Shelf Company options above include the following:
- Free Name Change (included in price for all options).
- Free Director Change (included in price for all options).
- Free Address Change (included in price for all options).
- Free Share Transfer (included in price for all options).
- Free Share Certificates (included in price for all options).
- Free Income Tax Number (included in price for all options).
- Free BEE Affidavit (included in price for all options).
- Free Tax Clearance Certificate (included in price for all options).
- Free Business Bank Account (included in price for all options).
Where is the best place to buy a Shelf Company in South Africa?
Naturally, we want to ensure that we’re the best, but rather than doing that, we’re going to share the things that you need to look out for.
Here are three critical things to look out for when deciding where’s the best place to buy a Shelf Company from in South Africa:
- Ensure that you’re buying your Shelf Company from a credible company (hint-hint like ourselves). When you buy a Shelf Company, it should have a clean history. What we mean by that is that it should not have any trade and tax history on it.
We can guarantee that our Shelf Companies have never been used before. However, if you don’t know the company you’re buying for, it’s better to check.
- Buy the age that’ll be most beneficial to your business.
- Make sure you know what’s included in your Shelf Company. Our Shelf Companies are all-inclusive. This means, whatever price you pay, there aren’t hidden costs related to changing your company name to something that suits your business. There also aren’t any costs associated with changing the directors, your company address or transferring shares and issuing new share certificates.
We also include a Free Income Tax Number and a Free BEE Affidavit with all our available options. However, other companies you buy Shelf Companies from, may not include all these add-ons. Make sure there are no surprises down the road.
How to get a Shelf Company in South Africa
You’re free to research any company who sells Shelf Companies. However, we believe our services are the fastest and the simplest in South Africa.
Here’s why we offer the fastest and easiest way to get a Shelf Company in South Africa:
- You can buy and trade with our Shelf Companies in 24 hours.
- You can be based anywhere in South Africa as our services are 100% online.
- You get a dedicated Business Specialist assigned to you with your purchase.
- We’ve helped over 20 000 South African businesses with various company services.
- We offer over 120 other Business and Tender Services. You’ll never need another Company Documentation partner ever again.
Don’t believe us? Claim your FREE business consultation and talk to one of our experts.
Our line is 100% toll-free (free from SA cellphones and landlines). Just call 0800 007 269 to start.